Thursday, August 27, 2009

Taking Advantage of BAs Because They Can

There are a lot of BAs who were working (and deserved) low six figure pay before Wall Street idiots did what they did. Most of us worked as consultants because that's where the cash was. Now we're seeing:

  • Ridiculous job requirements/software backgrounds in areas other than Health Care, Insurance and Financial- those I can understand- specialized domain knowledge. But database cleaners? Portals? (everyone seems to be moving to SharePoint and this seems to be a real big deal requiring years of experience with the tool- right- you're telling people who can create custom Portals with dozens of interfaces and multiple layers with extensive User Profile functionality doesn't directly relate? Balderdash)l E-Commerce or Basic Business Intelligence? Gimme a break.
  • 10+ Years of Experience: Who are these people? There wasn't any such thing as an IT BA in 1999, the concept was just starting to spread with the use of requirements documents (Use Cases). BAs back then were what we tend to call Financial or 'Real' BAs today- the ones who can look at market data and prepare forecasts and other magic stuff accountants and actuaries do. But can they describe how their PC is supposed to connect and how the User is suppose to work the actuary engines?
  • Demand 6 months or less since the last job: I got a call from a recruiter yesterday- "Scot the job's a perfect fit with your background- what have you been doing since October 2008?" I said, "Looking for work." The recruiter said he was sorry, but the longest gap this company would accept is six months. I laughed, silently (yuh never know if the recruiter might do you some good later). I told him to tell the company I was researching and writing a book: How BAs Fit in the Agile Method. No dice. Well, Dice.com, but not for this job. I figure they lost a tremendous resource. Me.
  • Demanding Salary Requirements or Back Salary Levels: I used to make a lot of money- at least as far as most of Chicago's Companies are concerned. They want all the ridiculous requirements and pay $20-$30 per hour. Now, I know I'm going to have to take a salary hit, but these HR people are filtering people out for high pay because they think higher paid people will leave when the economy straightens out. Um, genius, why wouldn't you want a bargain between now and then? If it were me, I'd hire the person, knowing that as long as salaries were low, I was getting a bargain and work the bejesus out of me then shake hands like a mench at the end. Nope- they'll hire a lesser experienced or newly minted BA instead. Is it any wonder some of these companies are in trouble??? I put either $5/year in the field (freakin' developers made the fields number text since my last job search) or leave it blank if I can. Mebbe I can tell them I'd take $45/hour with a smile and a sigh of relief and you'd have a friend for life.

And the silly HR keyword searches, uploading resumes created in Word and the parser screwing every little thing up. I'm sorry the HR people are being inundated- but they are filtering out some great people with superb skills and extensive experience. 350 resumes for a single position? When I was looking for people I would have killed for those numbers so I could get the best person I could.

And the Hiring Managers? Please. Why would you search for a new resource without the gig budgeted and approved? Why are you asking me questions that have absolutely not relevance to what you said the job was all about on the phone? Manhole covers? Why are you wasting your time and mine? I had to pay cash money to come here and talk to you- money I don't have because I make all of $317 a week unemployment.

You can't blame all of this on the economy. A friend and fellow BA twittered this: Why are there so many idiots working and so many really good people looking for work?

The system's broke. We need to fix it.



Powered by ScribeFire.

4 comments:

  1. Scot,
    Thank you for highlighting "10+ Years of Experience". So true. At times I feel that how can these hiring managers be so dumb? All these have started with H1 bugs coming from aborad(Nothing personal). The guys of 24-26, with recently passed out from US Uni. with Masters, how can they have 8-10+ years of experience. Is it something mothers in some part of the wolrd give birth to childeren with high-school pass out? Our brains just go crazy when we see this...NY/NJ/PA/VA/IL/CA IT training centre...gosh you see such in tons...
    Well, I have been lucky enough to retain my jobs always but do you not think that we need some paradigm shift in IT hring and on so called skill shortage concepts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet I do.

    I've been through every single possible recruiting/interviewing process invented over the last two years. And it's totally counterproductive.

    1. The businesses are dumping every possible requirement possible in the ads. My immediate response is to simply keep sending them until they tell us exactly what they want. That should also start reducing the number of resumes flooding into their e-mail boxes.

    2. Let's understand the interview is unnatural, has nothing to do with the job or the way the interviewee will perform the job. I'm thinking, I dunno,, GIVE ME A FREAKING TEST instead of testing my small talk skills and ability to skirt around the fact that I'm 54 years old and yes, I want more money because I'm more productive than any three of your junior BAs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Witt, I like your post. I also like when you comment on noobs like 'H1 bugs'. I see an actual modern BA mentor when i read through your posts. Just wondering if you would be interested in helping a modern BA community helping noobs to be Scot.

      Thanks

      Delete
  3. Hi Anonymous.

    Sorry for the delay. I keep forgetting someone might read these.

    Yes, I like helping others- makes me feel a whole lot smarter than I am!

    ReplyDelete